Saturday, September 11, 2010

Creating Your Own Life Story

(Photo of Arizona petroglyphs by Anita Lee)

I was reading some materials the other day from Dr. Dave Krueger (mentorpath.com) on creating a New Life Story, and I was reminded of how many times I've heard my coaching clients and others talking about wanting to do something beyond their grasp, knowing they couldn't do it. When I ask why they think they couldn't do it they admit to being stopped by voices emerging from the past telling them they aren't good enough.

I call this, "letting someone else write your autobiography." An autobiography is supposed to be written by the person who lived that life. (Yes, I know, many celebrities have had ghost writers step in to do the actual writing. I once heard a famous football player tell a reporter that he was misquoted in a recent book--which was an autobiography of the player! Oops.)

When it comes to deciding what our lives should look like, we have many choices. We can continue to live the way we always have, we can look around us and wish we could live like someone we admire, or we can take steps to become the person we were created to be.

It is our responsibility to create a masterpiece of our lives. We've been given all the right materials, but too often we're afraid to imagine who we could be and what we could do for others in the process. We're afraid to take even the first step toward becoming that masterpiece. "What if I fail?" "What if I look foolish in the process?" "What if..." There's no end to the "What if's."

How about asking, "What do I really want to do at this stage of my life?" "What are my gifts, abilities, and interests that can make a positive difference?"
A world of opportunities awaits us when we ask the right questions.

I'd love to hear what your aspirations are. By your sharing, you will impact the lives of others.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anita, thanks so much for doing this. I look forward to your next post!

David Krueger MD said...

Hi Anita,

I'm honored at your reference, and glad you found some of my material useful.

One of the basic principles of New Life Story® Coaching is that (at least since adulthood): Whatever we experience, we either create of accept.

I enjoyed your Blog.

Best regards,

Dave Krueger